- NZD/USD breakout targeting initial resistance hurdles – Pullbacks to offer opportunity
- Check out our 3Q projections in our Free DailyFX USD Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
The New Zealand Dollar has rallied more than 5.5% off the yearly lows with the advance now targeting up-trend resistance. Here are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the NZD/USD charts this week. Review this week’s Strategy Webinar for an in-depth breakdown of this setup and more.
New to Forex Trading? Get started with this Free Beginners Guide
NZD/USD Daily Price Chart
Technical Outlook: Last month we highlighted the threat of a major breakout in NZD/USD as price was testing yearly downtrend resistance. Kiwi ripped higher into the start of November trade with the advance now targeting pitchforkresistance of the ascending formation we’ve been tracking off the September / October lows. Key daily support rests at the 6700/15 zone (tested yesterday) with a breach above 6850 needed to fuel the next leg higher in price.
Learn how to Trade with Confidence in our Free Trading Guide
NZD/USD 240min Price Chart
Notes: A closer look at price action shows NZD/USD trading towards the upper bounds of the ascending slope formation with resistance targets unchanged at 6811 and 6851 – a breach/close above this threshold would be needed to keep the long-bias viable with such a scenario targeting the 200-day moving average at ~6894 and the 50% retracement of the yearly range at 6930.
Initial support rests with the October slope-line (red) backed closely by near-term bullish invalidation at the weekly opening-range lows at 7700/05- weakness beyond this level would shift the focus back towards the lower parallels with initial support objectives eyed at the 38.2% retracement at 6665 and 6619/24 – both areas of interest of possible exhaustion / long-entries. Broader bullish invalidation rests at 6573.
Even the most seasoned traders need a reminder every now and then- Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Bottom line: NZDUSD has broken multi-month slope resistance and although the broader outlook remains constructive, the advance may be vulnerable near-term while below the upper parallel. From a trading standpoint a good place to reduce long-exposure / raise protective stops. A break below the median-line would likely fuel a larger correction and more favorable entries towards structural support. For now, look for a reaction / exhaustion on this rally towards 6850.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
NZD/USD Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long NZD/USD – the ratio stands at +1.49 (59.9% of traders are long) – weak bearishreading
- Long positions are12.6% higher than yesterday and 4.5% higher from last week
- Short positions are 12.6% lower than yesterday and 17.4% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests NZD/USD prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are more net-long than yesterday but less net-long from last week and the combination of current positioning and recent changes gives us a further mixed NZDUSD trading bias from a sentiment standpoint.
See how shifts in NZD/USD retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Relevant NZD/USD Data Releases
Economic Calendar – latest economic developments and upcoming event risk. Learn more about how we Trade the News in our Free Guide!
Active Trade Setups
- AUD/USD Price Outlook: Aussie Breakout Stalls Ahead of Resistance
- Gold Price Outlook: XAU/USD Carves Range inside Key Resistance
- EUR/USD Price Outlook: Euro Battle Lines Drawn ahead of FOMC
- USD/CAD Price Outlook: Key Resistance Holds into the October Close
– Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex or contact him at email@example.com