- Gold reverses from trend resistance – risk for pullback but constructive above 1302
- Check out our 2019 projections in our Free DailyFX Gold Trading Forecasts
- Join Michael for Live Weekly Strategy Webinars on Mondays at 12:30GMT
Gold prices reversed off trend resistance this week with the move risking further losses for the precious metal near-term. These are the updated targets and invalidation levels that matter on the XAU/USD charts.
New to Gold Trading? Get started with this Free How to Trade Gold -Beginners Guide
Gold Daily Price Chart (XAU/USD)
Technical Outlook: In my latest Gold Weekly Technical Outlook we noted that, “The focus is higher while above 1302 with price now approaching subsequent resistance objectives. From a trading standpoint, looking to reduce long-exposure just higher and be on the lookout for near-term exhaustion on a stretch towards 1350.” Gold registered a high at 1346 this week before pulling back with price reversing off channel resistance on building momentum divergence.
The threat remains for a larger pullback while below 1348/50. Daily support rests with the monthly open / 61.8% retracement at 1319/21 with broader bullish in validation steady at 1302. A topside breach of the formation targets the 2016 high close at 1366 backed by the 38.2% retracement at 1379.
Why does the average trader lose? Avoid these Mistakes in your trading
Gold 120min Price Chart (XAU/USD)
Notes: A closer look at price action shows gold trading breaking below a near-term ascending channel after rebounding off longer-term slope resistance. The move leaves the prices vulnerable sub-1341 with a break below near-term support here at 1330 exposing 1319/20 backed by 1311 – both levels of interest for exhaustion / long-entries if reached. Ultimately a breach above 1350 is needed to mark resumption of the broader uptrend we’ve been tracking since last year.
Learn how to Trade with Confidence in our Free Trading Guide
Bottom line: The immediate threat is lower in price with the decline to ultimately offer more favorable long-entries. From a trading standpoint, look for a reaction on a move towards confluence support around ~1320s or even 1311 for downside exhaustion with a breach/ close above 1350 needed to fuel the next leg higher in price.
For a complete breakdown of Michael’s trading strategy, review his Foundations of Technical Analysis series on Building a Trading Strategy
Gold Trader Sentiment
- A summary of IG Client Sentiment shows traders are net-long Gold- the ratio stands at +1.78 (64.0% of traders are long) – bearishreading
- Long positions are14.3% lower than yesterday and 18.6% lower from last week
- Short positions are 2.4% higher than yesterday and 29.0% higher from last week
- We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests Gold prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are less net-long than yesterday and compared with last week. Recent changes in sentiment warn that the current Gold price trend may soon reverse higher despite the fact traders remain net-long.
See how shifts in Gold retail positioning are impacting trend- Learn more about sentiment!
Active Trade Setups
- Australian Dollar Price Outlook: AUD/USD Recovery Faces First Test
- Canadian Dollar Price Outlook: USD/CAD Fails at Monthly Range Highs
- EUR/USD Price Outlook: Euro Back Above 1.13 – Bull Trap or Breakout?
– Written by Michael Boutros, Currency Strategist with DailyFX
Follow Michael on Twitter @MBForex