EUR/GBP Technical Strategy: Flat
- Euro struggles for direction after dropping back to trend support
- Upward bias remains intact but follow-through now looks suspect
- Technical resolution, improved risk/reward setup needed to trade
See our free guide to help build confidence in your EUR/GBP trading strategy!
The Euro is struggling to find lasting upside follow-through against the British Pound but the bounds of the near-term uptrend remain intact. A would-be breakout foundered as prices turned lower after showing a bearish Dark Cloud Cover candlestick pattern on the four-hour chart, as expected.
Turning to the daily chart, the pair is wedged between rising trend support set from mid-June – where the outer layer is now at 0.8974 – and an inflection point marked by the October 2017 high at 0.9033. A break lower exposes the 0.8938-46 area (August 31 low, 38.2% Fibonacci retracement). Alternatively, a push above resistance targets the 0.9091-99 area (August 28 high, 38.2% Fib expansion).
Current positioning does not offer an attractive trade opportunity. Perhaps most importantly, congested price action makes even shorter-term tactical bets appear unattractive on risk/reward grounds. Opting to remain flat seems prudent until better-defined opportunity presents itself.
EUR/GBP TRADING RESOURCES
- Just getting started? See our beginners’ guide for FX traders
- Having trouble with your strategy? Here’s the #1 mistake that traders make
- Join a free Q&A webinarand have your trading questions answered